“The ritual of performing seven circumambulations of Kaaba as part of the Hajj is called Tawaf.”
“Tawaf means to revolve around the Kaaba seven times during the course of Hajj or Umrah.”
Kinds / Types of Tawaf:
There are seven kinds of Tawafs which are elaborated below:
- Tawaful Qudum
- Tawafuz Ziyarah
- Tawaful Wada
- Tawaful Umrah
- Tawaful Nadhr
- Tawaful Tahiyya
- Tawaful Nafl
A pilgrim when for the first time enters Kaaba in the state of Ihram, he will execute a Tawaf which is known as Tawaful Tahiyyah or Tawaful Qudum.
This is Sunnah (i.e. any act that is performed by Prophet Mohammad (P.B.U.H)), hence a person who enters in Kaaba with the intention of performing Hajjul Ifrad or Hajjul Qiran.
However, it is not a Sunnah for a pilgrim who comes to perform Hajjul Tamattu or Umrah, or for the resident of the Holy City of Mecca. It is also a Sunnah for a resident of Mecca who journeys beyond Miqat before the months of Hajj and enters again in Mecca in the state of Ihram with the intention of performing Hajjul Qiran or Hajjul Ifrad.
It is also known as Tawafur Rukn, Tawaful Hajj, Tawaful Fard and Tawaful Ifadah.
This is an element of Hajj. Hajj is not completed without it. Its starts from the dawn of 10th Dhul Hijjah to the sunset of 12th Dhul Hijjah.
- Tawaful Wada (A Farewell Tawaf): Also known as Tawafus Sadr. It is mandatory for an person having intention to perform Hajj or Umrah.
- iv) Tawaful Umrah: This is an element while performing Umrah and is mandatory during the execution of
- v) Tawaful Nadhr: It is compulsory when a person has made a vow to Allah to do it.
- vi) Tawaful Tahiyya: It is recommended but not essential for a person who enters into Masjid ul Haram. But if any other Tawaf is performed, it becomes its substitute.
vii) Tawafun Nafl: It is neither mandatory nor essential, therefore, it can be performed any time.
Steps to Perform Tawaf:
- During Tawaf pilgrims move towards the direction indicated by the arrows in the map.
- The Tawaf begins when you move from Hajarul Aswad (i.e The Holy Black Stone) in an anticlockwise direction.
- Move in the direction of arrows, keeping Hajarul Aswad to your left.
- Advance on the line marked by arrows, when you reach Hajarul Aswad again, one circuit is complete.
- Seven rounds are to be completed in order to complete one Tawaf.
- Facing Hajarul Aswad there is a line made of black stone, across the floor of Masjidul Haraam. Stand a little before this line to vow for Tawaf.
- If you stand on this black line you will face Hajarul Aswad. This is the position for kissing the Hajarul Aswad.
- Kissing the place of Ibrahim is forbidden by the authorities hence, please make special note of it.
I hope this post will help in increasing the knowledge related to the types of Tawaf and how to perform it. For the cheapest Hajj and Umrah packages you visit at London Star Travel in UK.